June 06, 2011

40 is the new 40

This blog is created with the intent to invoke purpose in your mind.  So I decided to start my blog with a note that I posted on Facebook back in March, on my 40th birthday. As you read through the note, be reminded that God is a God of purpose. It's never too late to align yourself with God's purpose for your life!  Be encouraged!!!


“When we long for life without difficulties, remind us that oaks grow strong in contrary winds and diamonds are made under pressure.” Peter Marshall                                                                                                                                             
     Forty is a transformational number that means a time of trial or probation followed by blessings. When I look back, I can recognize all the times God has kept me and how He has directed my path since before I was born. I’m so thankful for His direction and destiny for my life. As I think about Esther, I realize that God has been preparing me for such a time as this..
     I’ve been in school for numerous years now (seems like forever!). Last year God showed me this scripture…
                                                                                Deuteronomy 8:2-10

“2 Remember how the LORD your God led you through the wilderness for these forty years, humbling you and testing you to prove your character, and to find out whether or not you would obey his commands. 3 Yes, he humbled you by letting you go hungry and then feeding you with manna, a food previously unknown to you and your ancestors. He did it to teach you that people do not live by bread alone; rather, we live by every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD. 4 For all these forty years your clothes didn't wear out, and your feet didn't blister or swell. 5 Think about it: Just as a parent disciplines a child, the LORD your God disciplines you for your own good. 6 So obey the commands of the LORD your God by walking in his ways and fearing him. 7 For the LORD your God is bringing you into a good land of flowing streams and pools of water, with fountains and springs that gush out in the valleys and hills. 8 It is a land of wheat and barley; of grapevines, fig trees, and pomegranates; of olive oil and honey. 9 It is a land where food is plentiful and nothing is lacking. It is a land where iron is as common as stone, and copper is abundant in the hills. 10 When you have eaten your fill, be sure to praise the LORD your God for the good land he has given you.”

I’m finally graduating May 5, 2011. I believe it’s no coincidence that I’m graduating this year with a BA in Organizational Communication, the same year of my 40 birthday. It’s amazing to me because I had no desire to study communication. My pastor, Lloyd Bustard, always says to be a people person. I’ve never considered myself a people person. People have always let me down. If it was up to me, I would just stay in my own little world hidden in my shell.  But Psalm 118:8 says “it is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.” God didn’t create me to separate me from His people. People, saved and unsaved are broken and searching, just like I was for so many years. Though I’m not perfect I realize through much life experience, scholarly studying, and revelation from God himself that A) He is real B) He loves us and C) He wants us to love each other, imperfections and all. (Matt 22:37-40). Most importantly, I recognize that God has a purpose for my life and for each of you.
God has placed many people in my life that have helped shape me into who I am today.  So today, as I meditate on and am thankful for where I am in my life, I am celebrating me by honoring some very dear women who have inspired me along the way….. Lord, thank you for your grace and mercy!

P.S. We are ALL designed for greatness for the glory of God!!!

1 comment:

  1. You my DEAR FRIEND are so unique and full of wisdom! I thank God that we crossed paths...it was a Divine Connection!!!!I pray your cup continues to be filled and you take your blessings and bless others around you. You INSPIRE me with your Passion and PRESENCE and for this I'll always be PROUD to call you friend!!!! Tanita<3

    ReplyDelete